RE: Assigning "sub maintainers" for Windows and cmake!

From: <sporkschivago_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 16:46:47 -0400

When I was a program developer, we used the *nix "look-alike" compilers for easier cross-compilation. Even with the business I currently own, we have a hybrid setup, with some Windows Machines, some running Linux. I personally favour Linux, but there are some programs that are only available for Windows. For other businesses, now that Windows Server edition is per core, this could have some system admins move towards a free server OS alternative.

Finally, with schools (at least my college), we (my friend and I) replaced an old mainframe with a modern Linux system that could do everything and more than the mainframe and was free (minus the cost of electricity). However, the students all had Windows machines. We had to give a presentation to the deans, the president, and the IT people about it and how it all worked, but they kept the implementation and did away with the mainframe. At that point, the person in charge of the Computer Science major made the decision that the users would connect to the Linux machine to learn the various programming languages.

Now, they're a four year college and in the Computer Science major (my friend that helped me setup the Linux server teaches there now), with his C courses, he teaches users how to write portable code using MSYS2 and Linux's GNU C compiler. I haven't used Visual C since I ran Windows 3.11 for Networks or something like that. I don't think the code is very portable though and I know when I do write so code, I tend to use MSYS2 with a GNU C compiler for Windows, gcc for Linux. Then we can run it on either environment, if need be.

Kenneth Swarthout