Trouble building libcurl.lib

From: dp <couldabin_at_excite.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 18:46:12 -0400

I am trying to build libcurl.lib (or libcurl_a.lib) with SSL support from OpenSSL for a Windows application that is being built in XP (SP3) using Visual Studio 10 C. I followed the instructions and was able to get nmake to complete without errors (although I had to use WITH_DEVEL=<dir> because I could not get the /deps default to work). I believe I have OpenSSL properly installed. Here's the issue: if I build the library using DLLs, the resulting libcurl.lib links without error but doesn't appear to have SSL support -- when I make calls to a secure website I get an "Unsupported protocol" error. I can get around this by turning off CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER and CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST but would rather not do that. If I build the library using static options, the resulting libcurl_a.lib won't link -- I get LNK2019 errors unresolved external symbol for all the curl_easy_xxxxxx() calls. I have run DUMPBIN.exe on the library and the symbols are there.

I am sure this is simply something I am not doing correctly, but I have run out of ideas on how to find it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.