Time to consider asking users again

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 09:09:48 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I've started to refresh the annual survey by removing a few things that felt
out of data and adding a few questions and options that feel apt to ask for in
2018.

Early/mid May is a good time to run the survey, and we've traditionally had it
out for two whole weeks. I'm thinking we should make it available May 11th to
the end of May 24th 2018.

Help us reach out!

The curl user survey participation levels have really varied over different
years (between 200 to 1500 answers), so I'll state it already now that we will
of course appreciate all the help we can get to make sure the information
about this survey reaches everywhere that it should.

What's the value of the survey?

We should never just keep doing something just because we've done it in the
past. For me, I value the responses greatly as a guidance as to what things
people feel most strongly about. What features are missing, where should we
put more emphasises on improvements going forward etc. The responses give me
facts to use when guiding the project into the future. I hope this sense is
shared by others as well. I think it helps improving the project.

What should we ask for this year?

Roughly the same as the previous years. Identical questions allow us to
compare and see trends over time. But things change over time of course so
there are new things to ask about. I've gone over the fill-ins from 2017 and
I've tried to adjust the 2018 survey for all details people mentioned that I
think make sense and improve the questions (and preferably the output from
them).

What do YOU want to to ask our users?

If you can think of anything special you'd like to hear what curl users and
hackers in general want or think, tell us! I would highly recommend reading up
my summary of last year's survey as it freshens up ones mind about the
questions we had then and what people said about us:

   https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2017/05/30/curl-survey-2017-analysis/