is anyone using winbuild and Visual Studio 6?

From: Kees Dekker <Kees.Dekker_at_infor.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 12:19:56 +0000

Hi,

Is anyone still using Visual Studio 6 for the cURL winbuild\Makefiles?

If VS6 can be dropped, then the VC=<value> can probably be dropped from winbuild\MakefileBuild.vc, and instead of it an output directory can be used (in winbuild\Makefile.vc).
That case is probably useful for the case that multiple/different visual studio versions are used to compile the same cURL code base, using the winbuild method. But is anyone using this?

As a result, if these changes can be made, both Makefile.vc and MakefileBuild.vc can become less complex. Currently, the VS=6 check is only being used in MakefileBuild.vc.
However, if 'your visual studio should be smart enough' to compile cURL, and ancient version of Visual Studio 6 (released in 1998) can probably be dropped as 'supported compiler'.

I don't know what policy applies in *NIX land about (very) old compilers?

In Windows-land, if you like to run on a supported Windows version, then Windows versions prior to Windows 7 can be considered as (very) old... But that is just my opinion.

Kees