RE: Wait for a response using curl_multi_wait

From: Cunningham, Joel <Joel.Cunningham_at_garmin.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 23:14:19 +0000

My thoughts are either:

1) Make the new API behave just poll/select, i.e. it can be used as a blocking construct even when there are no input FDs.

Given a background in network programming, my initial assumption when first encountering curl_multi_wait() was that it would behave in this way since it took FDs and had "wait" in the name. Only after reading the docs did I realize it was much more complicated than that.

I found a previous discussion about this on the mailing list [1] but it's not clear why the 'not waiting' behavior was preferred

2) Have the API behavior (not waiting in some cases) be the same, but return some indication of whether any waiting was done. Maybe this is through an additional parameter?

Optionally waiting seems to be the motivation behind the current API behavior [1], but I'm not sure I understand the use case of passing a timeout into curl_multi_wait() but then not wanting to actually wait that entire time. I would figure the user would use a 0 timeout in this case.

This second option would probably not help clarify the API for new users and they may still integrate in a non-performant manner, but it would be helpful for those already familiar with this issue.

> curl_multi_wait_done_again() (yes, the name can also be discussed)

[1] https://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2012-10/0078.html

Joel