RE: Building on Windows: zlib library names in winbuild/MakeBuild.vc

From: Rod Widdowson <rdw_at_steadingsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 18:41:32 -0000

> If it's nothing, then I'm happy to provide a PR that either:
> 1, Uses the library names that zlib documents, or
> 2, Supports both existing names and the documented zlib names by
> checking for existence of files in DEVEL_LIB similar to the checks for
> OpenSSL.

This would be great, but.....

A much better PR would be one which allowed the file name to be provided on the nmake line. For instance the standard for windows is for debug DLLs to be called fooD.dll and we do our debug builds like that (allow co-installation of both developments which used to be much more useful than it is there days). Equally, some providers have shown themselves "problematic" in the word of not changing a file name when the change the ABI and we tend to force the issue for them by controlling them.

I have an AI since for ever to put such a PR together, and apologise for not doing so.