commits to remember: always-multi in 2013

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 08:41:07 +0100 (CET)

Hey,

By chance I just realized that we've now passed five years since the internal
overhaul that made us use only non-blocking internals[1] and "multi"
everywhere and I figured I'd just highlight this fact!

Commit c43127414d89ccb9ef[2], as done on Jan 17 2013 (shipped in curl 7.29.0),
improved the internals in a single blow to something that is much better and
easier to maintain and work with and yet provides the variety of interfaces
and APIs that we do. Without breaking any ABIs or APIs. I realize I'm tooting
my own horn a bit here, but I think it is good to reflect on the past at times
and recognize what's been good and what's been less good. That commit caused
some destabilization for a few releases, but we've gotten *so* much good out
of it since...

Yang Tse was a strong contributing factor to that rearchitecture of libcurl.
It's a loss for us that he's no longer active in the project.

Yay for good changes!

[1] = yeah, not quite, there are a few but annoying exceptions but let's
       pretend they don't exist for the moment =)
[2] = https://github.com/curl/curl/commit/c43127414d89ccb9ef