Re: "URLs are dangerous things"

From: Dennis Clarke <dclarke_at_blastwave.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 11:08:19 -0500

> FYI: WHATWG is a sort of standards organization, similar to W3C and
> IETF. It was created by a bunch of browser vendors and they have a
> strong browser focus with participation representation from all the
> major browsers.

I see rfc-8089 as the spec that tells us about a "file" or some blob
object resource somewhere. A more generic spec may be seen in rfc-3986
and if we look at the authors we see Roy Fielding as well as the father
of all this, Timothy John Berners-Lee. I know from experience that Roy
can be trusted to do "the right thing" because he had the guts to tell
Sun Microsystems exactly what he thought about the OpenSolaris project
and then walked out. There is nothing wrong with RFC-3986 nor the more
specific RFC-8089.

The very fact that WHATWG is very browser focused causes me to ignore
whatever they are doing. It would be the very same as handing over the
next specification for automobile fuels to the oil industry. The user
agent, at least in my world, often has no user but is a process id that
has the task to communicate in some way with a remote process. Quite
frankly, multiple processes are often involved as well as databases and
possibly a number of remote services. No where in that process is there
a browser nor a web server. In fact, a browser should ( not must ) be
able to contact the listening remote port also but there just isn't
anything there for a user to see.

Dennis Clarke

  ps: I was the last OpenSolaris goverance flunkie