Re: synchronous i/o code inside of curl_easy_init() using c-ares

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 14:26:51 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018, Василий Куликов wrote:

> So, when I try to create easy handle and use it in async way, ares still
> does pretty much synchronous actions. AFAICS, there is no option to disable
> re-reading of /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts, etc.
>
> Is it a deliberate decision to read these files synchronously? Is it
> possible to use c-ares in libcurl and not to do any sync i/o in a client
> thread?

c-ares is a separate project with a separate mailing list[1] and issue
tracker[2].

However, the fact is that reading files isn't really doable asynchronously in
a portable manner, so I figure the best approach here is probably to control
the behavior more with options. Although that brings the problem with when/how
those files should be read...

Certainly something to take to c-ares for discussion!

[2] = https://github.com/c-ares/c-ares/issues