Re: IPv6 address treated as a DNS name when compiled w/o IPV6 support

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:21:56 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018, John Hascall via curl-library wrote:

> ​I would like to suggest that returning some sort of error like
> CURLE_NO_IPV6_SUPPORT (or at least CURLE_NOT_BUILT_IN ​) ​would be more
> helpful.

Thanks for your report. This is clearly an oversight on our behalf.

Together with a helpful message in the ERRORBUFFER I think the existing
CURLE_NOT_BUILT_IN return should be good enough.

> However, it is not clear to me whether this should happen on the
> curl_easy_setopt ​(​CURLOPT_CONNECT_TOO ​) call or on the ​curl_easy_perform​()
> call.

Typically the setopt() call is mostly just a set operation so the data isn't
actually used or parsed until perform() is called and that's the case for this
option. curl_easy_perform() will then be the function that returns an error
for this.