Re: libcurl, OpenSSL, and "result code 77, error setting certificate verify locations"

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 04:38:07 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018, Patrick Middleton wrote:

> The other day one of our applications stopped working at an awkward moment,
> reporting "result code 77, error setting certificate verify locations". We
> have seen this error from time to time (very rarely) since 2004. It's not
> anything to do with the file of PEM-encoded x509 certificates, the
> certificates, or the path to the file.

The most common explanation for this error message is that the site you're
communicating with fails to present an intermediary certificate in the TLS
handshake. You can check this by entering the site in SSL labs test:
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ as it will clearly indicate if this is the
fact.