Re: Pipelining of POST requests

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:30:36 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017, Sunil Sayyaparaju via curl-library wrote:

> I am doing POST requests which are idempotent. I want to exploit the benefit
> of pipelining as I will be sending a sequence of post msgs almost on
> continuous basis. This will be over WAN link. So, pipelining will be ideal
> for me.

I would recommend going HTTP/2 instead if you can. HTTP/2 is a better
pipelining from spec to implementation. And since it is more widely used by
curl users, it probably also has less bugs than the pipelining implementation.

> I will be happy to know in advance If I need to worry about any other issues
> the libcurl may throw at me because of my change. Are non-idempotent POST
> requests the only reason why they are not allowed to pipeline ? Or are there
> any libcurl level issue that I need to be aware of ?

I'm mostly just worried that pipelning in curl isn't as rock solid as many
other areas are, simply due to it being a very rarely used feature.