Re: Compiling curl on AS400 with ILE C

From: Patrick Monnerat via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 17:22:58 +0100

On 10/19/2017 11:21 AM, Franco Lombardo via curl-library wrote:
> It works!!!
>
> Thank you very much for your help!!!

Great! this was a pleasure.

> I created a small shell script for the complation phase, which I called make-OS400.sh. Here it is:
>
> Do you think it could be useful?

No, because it is too rigid in a working/development environment. This
is why I did not put this in the makefile.sh. I think the README.OS400
directives are enough. Thanks anyway.

> Now I have some more questions about using curl on AS400 ;-)
>
> Do you have any examples, both in C and I RPG? Do you think it would be possible/useful to create a *PGM in addition to the *SRVPGM to call curl via command line/CL scripts?

In RPG: not anymore. I used to have some in the company I used the
AS/400. But they are their property and I did not copy any of them while
I had this access, of course.

In C: there are plenty of examples in the ./docs/examples directory of
the source tree. When adapting them to OS/400, beware of EBCDIC: you can
use qadrt in your calling program (making it an ASCII program), or you
can use the *_ccsid() platform-specific wrappers that do the conversion
for you. Remember that curl data itself remains in ASCII: in example, in
read/write callbacks you have to make sure yourself the data is properly
converted from/to ASCII. There are some programming hints at the end of
README.OS400.

I've investigated long ago what can be the curl program as a *CMD: I
gave up since there are far too many different CLI options for the IBM
*CMD processor :-( And creating a CLI program for qshell only is not
very useful.

I will merge my os400 branch in the master repo during the next few days.

Thanks for your feedback.

Patrick