Regarding linking curl to OpenSSL

From: Rahul Sabnis via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 15:45:53 +0530

Hello,

We are building curl with OpenSSL. We have also downloaded OpenSSL source
and built it locally. While building curl we use whatever OpenSSL we have
built.

--with-ssl=<My OpenSSL Build Directory>

The build is fine and we package and ship libcurl along with out product.
But we cannot package and ship the openssl library with our product. The
prerequisite is that OpenSSL will be already installed.

When our product gets installed and libcurl is called, there is a crash.
After investigation we identified that the version of OpenSSL installed on
target machine is higher than that we have built libcurl with.
For confirming this we replaced the openssl library with the one we built
curl and everything worked fine.

Questions:
1. Is this expected behavior or are we missing something here ?
2. Is it possible to make libcurl work with any OpenSSL library regardless
of what it is built with ?

Curl version: 7.54.0
Platform: RHEL (But I expecting this problem on other platforms like AIX,
Windows, HP-UX, Solaris).

Thanks,
Rahul.