Re: Re-using CURL handle

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 12:04:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017, Marcin Kolny via curl-library wrote:

> I'm supporting retry functionality in my application. Currently, every time
> when I do the request, I'm duplicating the curl handle, and if request
> fails, I'm repeating the request using duplicated curl handle. So it looks
> more or less like that:

> This works fine, however, I'm wondering if this handle duplication is
> necessary. Is it safe to re-use curl handle if the previous request has
> failed?

It is perfectly safe to instead reuse the handle from the previous transfer.

But... when you use the multi API, all the interesting and useful caches are
held in the multi handle already and not in the easy handle, so there's a very
small cost to duplicate and add the easy handle the way you do it. You're
mostly paying for this approach with more more memory management since libcurl
will free and malloc the handles each time.