Re: persistent connections and dns changes

From: Rainer Canavan <rainer+curlusers_at_7val.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 11:20:41 +0200

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2017, Justin Karneges wrote:
[...]
>> Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem? It doesn't look like the
>> API has a way to destroy existing connections when the multi interface is
>> used (other than tearing down the entire multi instance, which I suppose I
>> could do as a last resort).
>

> If there was an API to tear down a single connection (which has been
> suggested before and I would agree to), how would your application know when
> to call that for this situation? It seems it would need some other means to
> figure that out...

Could this specific problem be solved by handling DNS lookups outside libcurl,
injecting the results via CURLOPT_RESOLVE and just plain not reusing the
easy handle if the lookup results differ? As you've argued, this behaviour isn't
really desirable in the general case, but we're basically doing the same for
whenever certain configuration options are changed in our application.

rainer