Supporting HTTP/2 PINGs

From: Max Dymond via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 12:51:25 +0000

Hi,

I'm currently using libcurl with the HTTP/2 support, and it's working well so far. However, I want to be able to support HTTP/2 PING frames for keeping alive the TCP connection to Apple's Push Notification servers.

Currently this runs into two problems:
- There's no mechanism to send PING frames from libcurl outside of the context of a request.
- Receiving a PING frame from the server outside of a request causes curl to think the connection is dead (when the next request for that connection is made) and to tear it down.

Has there been any thought put into how this sort of problem can be solved?

Naively I'm thinking about solving this problem with a per-connection thread in libcurl (both to send PING frames and receive any PING server frames), but I'm eager to hear if anyone else has thought of a different design.

Thanks,
Max