CURLINFO_XFER_STATE

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 09:11:13 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

Over in pull request 1314 [1], neovasant has worked on polishing up an old
idea into something that is now functional: exporting "transfer state" from a
libcurl handle. It gives a little insight into what libcurl is doing with that
transfer at the very moment of the request.

Any opinions on this feature? Would it make your life easier?

My two concerns about providing this information are:

1. I'm afraid that it lures users into drawing conclusions or making "funny
things" because of the state they clearly can see the tranfer being in. Even
if the state is highly transitional. Also, the states won't always be
traversed in a numerical or other order an outside can forsee easily.

2. I'm concerned what happens when we add, remove or change internal states in
future versions of libcurl and how that will change what we provide through
this API and thus risk breaking some application that build dependencies on
former behavior.

Maybe I'm just overly careful.

Any feedback on this topic is appreciated!

[1] = https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/1314