Blocking curl_multi_perform with multiple SSL calls

From: Sean Bollin <sean_at_sean-bollin.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 15:24:50 -0700

I've got an issue in our application when I fire off a few dozen HTTPS
requests curl_multi_perform is blocking for 15+ seconds.

I took this example and modified it to just make 30 HTTPS requests:
https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/multi-app.htm

When I compile multi-app and link it to the libcurl 7.29.0 installed
on RedHat at the system level (using just gcc multi-app.c -lcurl) I
can reproduce this long pause of 15+ seconds.

Next, if I download libcurl 7.42 or even the same version 7.29 and
build that myself, and link against it, I'm able to get the requests
to fire off in 1-2 seconds total.

I've tried enabling/disabling AsyncDNS via c-ares as that was a
difference I noticed between the system level library and the ones I
compiled manually but it didn't have any effect.

Currently I am stumped as to how to continue. Any ideas on how to
debug this or what to check?

Let me know if I can provide any further info.