Re: Static libcurl size under Windows

From: Marcus Hoffmann <m.hoffmann_at_cartelsol.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 17:22:47 +0200

Hey Konstantin,

On 20.04.2017 16:57, Konstantin Vlasov wrote:
> I need static libcurl.lib which uses static OpenSSL but does NOT contain it as
> part of itself. Otherwise I would get link errors (symbol conflicts) when
> building VirtualBox with both libcurl AND openssl. The first scenario gave me
> exactly what I needed, but now in 7.54.0 it is deprecated. How do I get that
> type of libcurl.lib now?

I'm mostly familiar with the linking process on Linux but it shouldn't
conceptually be much different on Windows.

When statically linking to some libraries the linker only picks the
object files that are needed by the final program out of every static
library it encounters. [1]

So it shouldn't matter at all how big your intermediate .lib files are.

Best wishes,
Marcus

[1] i.e.:
http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2013/07/09/library-order-in-static-linking