RE: clang-format, close but no cigar

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 14:53:27 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017, Rod Widdowson wrote:

> I'd like to understand how you'd envisage using it. Do you mean a one-time
> convert of the code (with appropriate review of course)? Or require that a
> module be acceptable before it gets checked in? Or some combination?

I can imagine all of that, but the first step would need to be that the tool
is able to fairly reliably output code using the style we want, and
unfortunately I don't think we're there. At least I've not managed to reach
that point.

But yeah, I would probably first consider a single-shot conversion to get
things aligned and then later on we could perhaps make a version of checksrc
that would alert for deviances etc.

The most useful thing would however probably be for contributors and tinkerers
to run the tool on whatever code they've just written or fixed up and be
fairly certain that the result would be style guide compliant when they sent
off pull requests.