On the usefulness of --disable-verbose

From: <joris.valette_at_engie.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 17:48:24 +0000

Hi,

I hope this is the correct mailing list.

In lib/strerror.c, errors are only verbosely returned if the macro CURL_DISABLE_VERBOSE_STRINGS is off, which is configured by --disable-verbose.

Today I had an error on an embedded system, in production, and all I could see via curl_easy_strerror() was "Error".

I suppose someone disabled verbose curl on our system because it sounds like debug spew, when it's actually very useful information.

I can't really see a use case where it's better to return "Error" instead of "Unsupported protocol", "URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL" etc.

In both cases it outputs 1 line of information, only the second one gives something to work on.

It's especially useful in production.

Should --disable-verbose be removed from configure? Or the defines removed in strerror.c to always return the full errors?
ENGIE Mail Disclaimer: http://www.engie.com/disclaimer/disclaimer-fr.html