One Sec Delay to send Client HELLO Message as part of Hanshake

From: Praveen Pvs <meetpraveenpvs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 14:30:01 +0530

Hi,

We are encountering the performance issue while performing the SSL
Handshake between Client and Server.

We observe that there is around 1 second delay after Client received the
ACK from the server before client sends the HELLO message to the server.

[image: Inline image 1]

*20:25:13* Client has received the ACK from the server and it sent Hello
Message only at *20:25:14*. There is one second delay between these two
steps.

We have tried multiple times the SSL handshake and we observe this one
second delay is consistent.

Entire set of Wireshark traces can be found at this link -
Test_With_CURL_Library.zip
<https://dropbox.verifone.com/pickup/wRxofcAu4DlHqNU5A1yqLBC-O2kIAL_ba3i6pRNu/Test_With_CURL_Library.zip>

Please filter ip.dst == 208.72.254.252 and ip.src == 10.120.9.122 on the
wireshark traces to know the communication between the Terminal(Our Device)
and Server

We have tried the communication part with the raw open SSL calls using the
simple sample application(which is attached for reference) and we dont see
this one second delay there during handshake part.

$ *curl -V*

curl *7.39.0* (arm-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.39.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i
zlib/1.2.5

Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s rtsp
smtp smtps telnet tftp

Features: Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL libz TLS-SRP

Is there any way to avoid this one sec delay during initialisation part?

I see same has been discussed in the below chain but dont see any
resolution.
https://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2013-12/0030.html

Thank you for your Help and Time.

Regards