Designing a runtime-loaded CURL TLS provider

From: Matthew Whitehead <MWHITEHEAD_at_uk.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 09:49:05 +0000
This is a general discussion topic relating to a project we're currently using curl for. If I've used the wrong mailing list for that sort of discussion please let me know.

We build curl to use for HTTP & FTP support but we're now looking to extend this to use HTTPS/FTPS. The TLS provider has to be GSKit but for a few reasons we don't want to build with USE_GSKIT support. Reasons for not wanting to build with USE_GSKIT are:

 - We'd like control over which version of GSKit is loaded and where it is loaded from.
 - We don't require users to install GSKit so we'd like to have more control over the behaviour of curl if it tries to find the GSKit libraries and can't.
 - We already have libraries that manage the loading and unloading of GSKit, including handling the differences on various platforms.
 - The current implementation in gskit.c only supports OS400.

Our current approach is to implement a generic, very thin curl TLS provider that we pass function pointers to before global_init. In the thin TLS provider we implement the various TLS functions (Curl_genssl_init, Curl_gensll_connect, Curl_genssl_cleanup etc.), each of which calls the associated function pointer, for example:

int Curl_genssl_init(void)
{
  return (sslProviderFPs.Curl_generic_ssl_init == NULL ?
          1 : sslProviderFPs.Curl_generic_ssl_init());
}

The concrete implementation is in Curl_generic_ssl_init() {...}  et al, which calls our existing libraries to load GSKit, fail cleanly if it isn't installed, and make the relevant GSKit calls if it is.

This may seem a little convoluted but it's a solution that satisfies the requirements above. We're looking for feedback and general discussion on our approach and a view to whether this is something that could be contributed back to the project.

Matthew Whitehead

IBM MQ Development
Mail Point 127, IBM Hursley Labs, Hursley Park
Winchester, Hants, SO21 2JN. UK
mwhitehead@uk.ibm.com
+44 (0)1962815067 (x37245067)

(Please note I don't work Tuesdays)