RE: proposed changes for winbuild makefile

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 12:08:23 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017, Rod Widdowson wrote:

>> Concerning the patch I did not review it however what was ultimately
>> proposed in 1201 [1] I think seems to make a lot of sense.
>
> Whilst I agree that it seems to make sense, I'm not sure if I'm embarrassed
> or saddened that this PR wasn't on my horizon after several weeks of
> discussion. Should I have been communicating there? I am very new to this
> project and I may have missed on protocol - advice would be welcomed:
> despite my cynicism I am willing to contribute to help the common good.

I think that was just an oversight from us who had seen it who should've
mentioned it here earlier. I believe some of us sometimes keep so close track
of both the github side of things and the mailing lists and we forget or that
not everyone does (at least I am guilty of that)!

We do discussions both on lists and in issues. We try to keep the issues
focused on actual bugs or problems (not wishes, ideas or general questions)
but some issues are long going and then a lot of things get said there...

>> We need support for OpenSSL 1.1.0 libraries, and so I think the ability to
>> override the variables on the command line seems like a good idea.
>
> I believe so, but it comes at the cost of downstream support. Once you
> "document" something it has to work forever - that’s why I like these
> changes, I can move our build over to a supported mechanism.

I (too) think that sounds a like a good approach!