Re: Valgrind errors in test suite with 7.52.1

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:17:25 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Douglas R. Reno wrote:

> I'm working on updating cURL to 7.52.1 for Linux From Scratch (I just
> updated to 7.52.0 last night!), and am getting errors in the test suite that
> I haven't in the past.

I worked with Douglas on this over IRC.

This is seen now becase I removed the valgrind filter we had before. 7.52.1 is
the first release without that filter. So we didn't introduce any new valgrind
errors now, we just don't hide them anymore. The filter was too aggressive and
filtered off legitimate errors as well.

Without the filter, we get this instead which is the opposite problem.

These valgrind errors are due to the old OpenSSL unitialized data thing which
makes it feed uninitialized data when asked for random and this triggers
valgrind: https://www.openssl.org/docs/faq.html#PROG14

OpenSSL fixed this in 1.1.0 so it only happens with older OpenSSL versions.

We should work on getting some sort of filter back for running tests with
older OpenSSL versions. Until we do, it good to just be aware about this
little side-effect 7.52.1 brought.