sftp file name with special character curl: (78) Could not open remote file for reading: No such file or directory

From: Michael Lee <michaellee22_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 21:03:54 -0500

Dear curl-library,

We are getting error curl: (78) Could not open remote file for
reading: No such file or directory.

The name of the remote file is "#165993.zip", as you can see it starts
with special character # .

I know that we needs to escape # as %23, however the following command
line worked on one sftp server (Red Hat Enterprice Linux Server
release 7.2) and failed on another sftp server whose OS is unknown.

curl -u username:password -O sftp://10.10.10.10/special/%23165993.zip

In our test program, we use curl_easy_setopt(_curl, CURLOPT_URL, URL)
function and the URL filename does have escaped version of #. It has
the same behavior.

Here is our lib curl version: libcurl/7.50.1 OpenSSL/1.0.1t zlib/1.2.3
libssh2/1.7.0

Could anyone shed some light what could go wrong?

Regards,
Michael