FTP Proxy Server support in Libcurl?

From: Carlos Rimola <crimola_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 02:13:58 -0800

Hello all,

I have a couple of "simple" questions regarding FTP Proxies which the
Libcurl documentation seems, to me. is ambiguous on:

1) What form of FTP Proxy (servers) does Libcurl support? (RFCs?). Any
specific examples like ftp-proxy or squid?

2) If supported, what functionality is supported?:

a) uploads/downloads?

b) passive/active FTP?

c) inbound/outbound?

d) SSL/TLS over outbound proxy server(s)?

I have unsuccessfully been trying various free proxy servers.

I am only asking for some direction on this. Today, I tried ftp-proxy under
Ubuntu 16.04 - unsuccessfully.

I looked up the e-mail list archives but the only relevant discussions are
rather old and the conclusion is only partial support, It seems that this
is not Libcurl's issue but mainly the weak definition of FTP Proxy in the
RFCs? However RFC-1919 ("Classical versus Transparent IP Proxies") seems to
clear much of how to make FTP proxies operate.

Any help/pointers will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

Carlos