Re: libidn2 support

From: Patrik Fältström <paf_at_frobbit.se>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 15:16:50 +0530

On 2 Nov 2016, at 14:34, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Nov 2016, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> Switching from IDNA2003 to IDNA2008 requires thought. They are not
>> compatible, and IDNA2008 requires pre-processing (e.g., UTS #46 [1]) to
>> be usable in practice. Libidn2 does not implement any pre-processing,
>> it is a pure IDNA2008 implementation.
>>
>> [1] http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr46/
>
> Thanks for this Simon. I wasn't aware.
>
> Based on this, I suppose my recommendation is that people simply switch off IDN support in curl builds until further notice to stay safe. The old way was open for trickery and the new way is incomplete.

Well, TR#46 was presented to the IETF but not adopted because the mapping included in IDNA2003 for specifically ß->ss is violating too many language rules for German (except German used in Switzerland). It was more important to "take the step" to IDNA2008 as soon as possible before there where too many domain names registered with ß (and others registered with ss).

My suggestion is to, as some IDNA2008 documents say, do normalization to normalization form C and then use whatever is there. See RFC5895.

   paf