stop shipping PDF and HTML versions in tarballs?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 08:41:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hi friends!

Do the HTML and PDF versions of our man pages that we ship in every tarball
provide any value to you?

Removing them from the tarballs would take away between 30-35% of the
compressed file size and thus produce much smaller release packages.

A simple check right now:

   bz2 - from 4047215 to 2568070 bytes
   zip - from 7366802 to 5019690 bytes

I just have the feeling that very few users actually care for these versions
of the docs so we're just artifically bloat the package to very little gain.

It would only remove them from releases, you could still build them locally if
you'd like them. We also keep providing the HTML versions of all man pages on
the web site and I suspect *that* is the primary source for curl docs to
many/most people.