Re: configure finding system openssl instead of my own

From: Linus Nordberg <linus_at_nordberg.se>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2016 23:49:45 +0200

Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote
Sat, 3 Sep 2016 23:39:59 +0200 (CEST):

>> configure does add -L for $HOME/usr/openssl11/lib properly but the
>> configure test compilations also use -L/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu and
>> put that _before_ the local installation so that the linker uses the
>> system installed openssl library instead of my own.
>
> That *feels* like some other test found another library pointing out
> the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu directory for libraries and that's why is
> used there. If you search your config.log file, can you figure out why
> or where that dir was added to LDFLAGS?

Indeed! zlib is found in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu. Thanks, Daniel.

I wonder why this didn't happen to me half a year ago. Can't imagine I
didn't have libz installed at that time. Maybe the order of the tests
for libraries has changed since? Or it might have to do with recent
changes (August) to how zlib is being detected (using pkg-config).

> Then of course that works against you when you have OpenSSL in two
> places and that directory shouldn't be used for OpenSSL but should be
> used for one of the other libraries...

A general solution would require the list of include directories (-I)
and the list of library paths (-L) to be sorted in a "more specific
first"-order. Hmm.

A workaround would be to, for each library checked for, specify a
separate installation directory, or disable the library. Cumbersome but
should work.

Going forward, configure seems to fail using -I/my/ssl-dir/include in
the tests for header versions due to

  OLDCPPFLAGS=$CPPFLAGS
  # CPPPFLAGS comes from CURL_CPP_P
  CPPFLAGS="$CPPPFLAGS"

which seems to come from CURL_CHECK_DEF [acinclude.m4]. Haven't figured
out how that works yet but since the change is from 2016-03-18
(ecf95343) I might have found a candidate for why things used to work
for me but now it doesn't.