Re: attention automatic git updaters!

From: Kamil Dudka <kdudka_at_redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 15:02:33 +0200

On Friday, August 26, 2016 14:23:33 Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Six months ago, we moved the github repo from being under my personal
> account over to the new "curl" organization. The *old* git repo is however
> still automatically redirecting to the new name so perhaps you never moved?
>
> I'd like to start moving over to a work flow where I too do pull-requests
> (at least for slightly larger things and when offering work-in-progress
> things) to allow commenting, experimenting, pre-merge CI and more and then
> I would like to be able to use my own curl repo for this.
>
> I'm thinking October 1st is an excellent date for starting that. Starting
> that day, the old URL will no longer be the master git repo.

If possible, it would be good to keep git objects that existed before the move
to curl/curl still accessible. We have many upstream commit URLs containing
bagder/curl in Red Hat Bugzilla, using the following scheme:

    https://github.com/bagder/curl/commit/SHA1_HASH_OF_AN_OLD_UPSTREAM_COMMIT

> So
>
> If you had a git checkout before February 2016 that you still use and you
> haven't fixed it so that it uses the new repo URL, please take a moment and
> move over. It's easily and quickly down. Alternatively you just remove the
> old and clone a new repo.
>
> If you prefer moving over just using command line git commands, you can use
> this sequence:
>
> 1. create a new remote named 'new'
>
> git remote add new https://github.com/curl/curl.git
>
> 2. remove the original (old one) called 'origin'
>
> git remote remove origin
>
> 3. rename the new one to origin
>
> git remote rename new origin
>
> 4. set upstream to origin/master (you may need to do "git pull" first
> before you can do this)
>
> git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/master master

Maybe I am missing something but running just the following command should
do all what is necessary in most of the cases:

    git remote set-url origin https://github.com/curl/curl.git

> 5. done, and its Friday so a small celebrationary drinkable product is
> permitted

Will do! :)

Kamil