Re: curl/libcurl SNMP protocol support

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 00:12:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016, Sergei Nikulov wrote:

> Wondering why LDAP is considering useful, but is SNMP is not?

I want everything new we consider to be properly motivated by someone who
wants to use said feature - preferably "someone" in plural. It doesn't matter
if there's another protocol/feature to compare with that we already support.

Everything we add to the library has to be documented, tested, maintained and
worked on in the future - forever and ever basically. And usually we don't
expand the developer base when we add new stuff either, so we only give
ourselves more future work with the same amount of hands. But sure, I also
won't stand in the way if there's a feature that fits the concept, there's
somone prepared to use it and someone else than me will do the majority of the
joob.

If LDAP would've been suggested today, maybe I would've resisted it and
required more motivation in a way I didn't do back then. LDAP was in fact
added very early on (in curl 6.0 - September 1999) and I didn't have the same
view on things that early in the project. We didn't even have libcurl yet!