Re: libcurl - windows / unicode filenames support...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 10:03:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016, Tarmo Pikaro wrote:

> But it just gives you direction in where to dig, to get unicode supported -
> since I suspect it's wanted feature.

Thanks for your efforts. And yes, proper support for unicode on windows is
wanted and has been requested before.

We've touch this topic in the past and we've had partial fixes suggested
alredy, so I'm afraid yet another "this is how it can't be done" isn't
terribly valuable to us. Getting it done the right way is what's hard.

> If you give me some hints in future for your coding style / code maintenance
> requirements - may be I can tune code tomake it suitable for your needs. But
> I can only test windows platform currently, no need to support others. (For
> me at least)

First, only change what you have to do make your changes. You say this was to
support unicode, but I could immedaitely spot unrelated changes. It is fine to
do more changes, but keep each logical change separate so that they become
smaller bites for us and easier to review/appply (even separately if we
disagree on parts).

Smaller patches are also much easier to discuss around and it makes sense to
post smaller patches early so that you don't work a lot on a particular
approach that we as a team would say is the wrong direction.

Keep everything C89 compatible and only /* comments */ - yes that is the old
ANSI C standard. Follow our existing indentation and white space rules.

'make checksrc' is a first step to make sure that most of the code is adhering
to our standard. That script doesn't check *everything* but it makes a good
effort so that if it doesn't complain there shouldn't be any major deviances
left.

It is perfectly understandable that any single developer can only test and
verify on one or a limited set of platforms, but that's not a big problem. If
you just make sure to do that then we have others who can comment and help out
with other platforms and we have autobuilds running non-stop to help us detect
problems we didn't catch manually.