Re: Speed comparison wget vs. curl (HTTPS/HTTP1/GnuTLS)

From: Tor Arntsen <kspt.tor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 15:51:04 +0200

On 30 June 2016 at 15:36, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016, Tor Arntsen wrote:
>
>> --tcp-nodelay makes it much faster, but wget is still noticably faster
>> (as in noticing when executing the command from the command line).
>>
>> wget: 0.028u 0.000s 0:00.20 10.0%
>> curl: 0.112u 0.024s 0:00.29 44.8%
>>
>> Apparently curl does much more processing.
>

> I can't reproduce any difference very easily anymore. With my GnuTLS builds
> I get about 30-40 milliseconds with both. (And then it even negotiates
> HTTP/2 too in the curl case.)
>
> libcurl goes through a couple of extra function layers but that shouldn't
> end up even noticable. This has to be another flaw/mistake somewhere.
>
> Is this using Tim's command lines (+ --tcp-nodelay) against google? Which
> TLS backends are you using?

Yes, it's exactly the same tests as we've been doing. This is the
Debian curl package, seems to be gnutls:
curl 7.47.0 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.47.0 GnuTLS/3.4.9
zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.29 libssh2/1.5.0 nghttp2/1.8.0 librtmp/2.3
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps
pop3 pop3s rtmp rtsp scp sftp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: AsynchDNS IDN IPv6 Largefile GSS-API Kerberos SPNEGO NTLM
NTLM_WB SSL libz TLS-SRP HTTP2 UnixSockets