Re: curl user survey results 2016

From: dev_user <dev_at_cor0.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 08:34:45 -0400

On 06/21/2016 08:26 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, dev_user wrote:
>
>> Someone said "IPv4 support" to the question "What feature/bug fix
>> would you like to see the project REMOVE?"
>>
>> You may need to isolate the responses from that user and filter them
>> out because they may be from another planet.
>
> Are you saying you don't have at least two friends
> or acquaintances who

clearly you have not had the sad misfortune of dealing with me in person
before saying "friends" :-) At least not before two coffee in the
morning. So about that .. will here be a European tour libCurl conference ?

> miss no opportunity to mention IPv6 and only refer to IPv4 as "legacy
> IP" ?

Every day .. twice on Sundays. Really .. I am one of those people that
thinks that we ran out of IPv4 a few years ago and IPv6 really is the
next way to go .. but it just doesn't get traction because of all the
legacy money out there. This is a money issue, not technology. If all
our devices all supported ipv6 and the home routers shipped by the
bottom of the barrel telecoms supported ipv6 then maybe it would get
traction. However for now I don't see enough of ipv6 out there, yet.
Certainly my websites all run ipv6 and my own BIND servers all support
ipv6 but most places, companies with their bottom of the barrel
wordpress sites don't have a clue. Sorry .. just ranting that I think
ipv6 should have been really adopted in a wide net way at least ten
years ago.

> I know more than two so I'm not surprised at all that there's at
> least one such person among our respondents. I don't take that
> suggestion seriously as I don't think it was meant so.

nope .. no way could it have been. Perhaps someone aimed for the "6" and
hit the "4" with a wide miss. :-\

>> Also, just scanning top to bottom here, I am really surprised by the
>> sample number. Very very small.
>
> I can only concur. I was so happy last year when we managed to get over
> a thousand respondents so I was truly disappointed to see us not reach
> out better than this. I don't know what we can do to reach out better
> and I certainly did nothing extra magic last year. But hey, I'm glad we
> got feedback!
>
> Thanks to everyone who took time out of their busy lives to help us out!

It is essential.

Dennis