Re: Pipelining a single download

From: Alex Bligh <alex_at_alex.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 14:56:00 +0100

On 3 May 2016, at 14:46, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> My main question is: why? The only reason to do pipelining is to overcome latency when using HTTP/1.1 - the time from the end of the previous transfer until the next one starts. You're downloading a single resource, so do pipelining for a single file just adds a lot of complexity with no added benefits.

Or to put it another way, if you want to go crazy with range headers, you will need n separate connections to take advantage of it, not pipelining.

But in general you would be far better off finding out why a single connection does not maximise available bandwidth, and attempting to fix that.

--
Alex Bligh