FTP operation timeout when public DNS Server is used

From: Ison <ison.thomas_at_mindteck.com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 14:06:49 +0530

Hi,

I am developing a C program to upload file to an FTP Server in Debian
Linux(Beaglebone black). The system provides options to setup the
ethernet interface statically or via dhcp. I am able to upload my file
when my eth interface is setup using dhcp. The /etc/resolv.conf file
gets updated with my local network's DNS nameservers in this case. But,
when static ethernet configuration is used, after setting the IP
Address, Netmask and gateway, I am overwriting the /etc/resolv.conf file
with google public DNS server address (8.8.8.8) using the command

echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf

The file is getting updated and the operation exits with error "Timeout
was reached".

I am able to "ping www.google.com" and "ping my_ftp_server" with 8.8.8.8
as the only entry in the resolv.conf file, but the curl operation fails.

I tried using OpenDNS namserver insted of google's DNS but there is no
luck.

If I replace the nameserver 8.8.8.8 with the local DNS IP address that I
received during dhcp operation, as follows:

echo nameserver "local dns server ip" > /etc/resolv.conf,

I am able to complete the FTP operation.

Request help to understand the cause of the issue. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Ison Thomas