RE: Massive HTTP/2 parallel requests

From: Lucas Pardue <Lucas.Pardue_at_bbc.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:04:07 +0000

Molina wrote:

> You can find it here: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-modules-dev/201603.mbox/browser

Thanks for the link and the background investigation and information, this is really interesting.

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> We need to promise a big enough HTTP/2 window that allows the other end to send at full speed and for us to send back window updates in due time. I wonder if we could make so that we get some RTT timing back from nghttp2 and we could use that as input for how large window to set... Or perhaps we could even make such a window scaling option into nghttp2 itself.

So it sounds like the overall throughput is governed by half the maximum window size. I like the sound of an auto scaling window, you could PING (frame) the server early in the connection and use that as an early indicator of RTT and scale up window size in some manner. Or you could be more aggressive with sending WINDOW_UPDATES e.g. after every frame received.

Lucas

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the