Re: Massive HTTP/2 parallel requests

From: Molina <jose.molina_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:46:56 +0100

After a deep search and a parallel email chain with the mod_http2 developers I think found the solution for this:

The problem was in the window sizes and tcp buffers. Concretely I had to increase the tcp buffer in the following way (on OS X 10.11.3):

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=$(( 1024*1024*2 )) # 2MB
sudo sysctl net.inet.tcp.autorcvbufmax=16777216

After this tuning both HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/2.0 increased their corresponding download speed. After that I tried with the h2o server two tests using HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/2:

Download a big file (1GB): both protocols had the same download speed, which was expected.
Download in parallel 10000 10KB files: in HTTP/1.1 it took 14 seconds, while in HTTP/2 it took 7.

Hence in long distances and with many parallel downloads HTTP/2 performed better, which is expected.
However, when performing both tests it was necessary to use the nghttp utility to increase the per-connection window size to 16MB and the per-stream window size to 1MB, having 16 parallel streams.

I of course also tried to do the same with libcurl, but I did not find any way of doing it with the current API. My questions are:

Perhaps I was missing a parameter to actually increase the window size?
Would it be possible to manually use libnghttp2 to increase the window size? In case it is, would doing so interfere with libcurl?
In case there is no parameter to increase the window size, is expected to add it in future versions?

Cheers,
José