Re: Adding static libcurl.a to xcode 7.2 example project adds libcurl.4.dylib dependency

From: Stephen Greenfield <StephenG_at_screenplay.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 00:32:59 +0000

Daniel,

We have figured it out — but it kinda sucks from an Xcode environment
perspective….

Indeed, Xcode's generated link command of -lcurl is telling the linker to,
by default, link with a DYNAMIC library. The linker will NOT accept
-static as a prefix to -l, because the CLANG driver doesn't support
turning on/off -static/-dynamic (if the linker does see -static, it
expects that EVERYTHING is static — Apple STRONGLY DISCOURAGES THIS).

Once we changed the -lcurl to explicitly "/usr/local/lib/libcurl.a", the
linked .app no longer showed a dependency on libcurl.4.dylib.

What sucks is that it appears there is no easy method to do this through
Xcode — unless I make a copy of libcurl.a with a DIFFERENT NAME.

Stephen