Re: OpenVMS changes needed for Curl 7.46 release

From: John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw_at_qsl.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 07:51:56 -0600

.
On 1/5/2016 3:04 AM, Dan Fandrich wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 10:55:00PM -0600, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>>
>> The missing routine is now in its own file pulled directly from the OpenSSL
>> git repository.
>
> This isn't going to work. The license is incompatible with the GPL and other
> licenses and puts restrictions on the source code even on users who aren't
> using the OpenSSL back-end. If the code was ripped from OpenSSL to begin with
> and not a clean-room reimplementation of the function, then the notice
> definitely belongs there, but I'd be surprised if Daniel allows its inclusion
> in libcurl.

Understood.

The code was ripped directly from OpenSSL and is not a clean-room
implementation.

The complete source to build Curl 7.46 on OpenVMS is included in the
installation kits.

It is my understanding that HP will not be updating the kits that they
ported from OpenSSL/0.9.x as they are reported to have a OpenSSL 1.x
kit. I do not currently have that kit.

There is also an individual or a group, not sure which that is working
on an OpenSSL 1.0.x kit for VMS, this time with the public symbols
exported correctly. Once that is done, a lot of the OpenSSL hacks in
the VMS specific code will be able to be removed.

So the Curl 7.46 kit for OpenVMS will probably be the last one I build
against the HP SSL 1.4(OpenSSL/0.9.x) kits that were bundled with the
VMS operating system.

Regards,
-John