libcurl-symbol-version.h (was Re: Welcome to the "curl-library" mailing list)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 16:24:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 2 Sep 2015, Elia Pinto wrote:

> In fact, the question is: why the libcurl-symbol-version.h is not part of
> the libcurl development header?
>
> In fact this file, being generated from symbols-in-versions, will be updated
> possibly with new releases of curl, and so need periodic maintenance for
> other program. I think this it would be very helpful.

Now that's certainly an idea worth considering!

We already have a test that makes sure the source file symbols-in-versions is
in sync with the header files and the symbols therein so generating a header
file based on that would be fairly reliable and not hard to do!

Is the current symbols.pl output good enough to use in an application you
think? If we're moving this up a notch and make the output "official" we
should review it closer and make sure it truly works in a way we can support
for years going forward!