Re: Are there any hints with building Git with HTTP and HTTPS helpers?

From: Ryan Schmidt <curl-2015_at_ryandesign.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 06:58:26 -0500

On Aug 24, 2015, at 6:08 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> I'm working with an old piece of APple iron. It lacks Git, so I've
> been trying to build it from scratch. According to Git's `configure
> --help`, I need to callout cURL and I am supposed to get HTTP and
> HTTPS helpers:
>
> ./configure --help | grep -i http
> --with-curl support http(s):// transports (default is YES)
>
> However, after:
>
> make configure
> ./configure --with-openssl=/usr/local --with-libpcre=/usr/local
> --with-curl=/usr/local \
> --with-zlib=/usr/local --with-iconv=/usr/local --prefix=/usr/local
> make
>
> It results in:
>
> $ git clone https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp.git cryptopp-git
> Cloning into 'cryptopp-git'...
> fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'https'
>
> Does anyone have any hints for building Git with HTTP and HTTPS helpers?

I don't have the answer to your specific question, but if your goal is to run git on OS X, then one way to accomplish that is to use a package management system. Questions such as yours have already been pondered and resolved by the people who maintain the packages in those package management systems, so that all you as a user have to do is install the package management system, then tell it what package you want to install.

I work on the MacPorts package management system ( https://www.macports.org/ ), so that's the one I can recommend to you. I just verified that its git package does work fine on Leopard for checking out from https repositories:

$ sw_vers
ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.5.8
BuildVersion: 9L30
$ which git
/opt/local/bin/git
$ git --version
git version 2.5.0
$ git clone https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp.git cryptopp-git
Cloning into 'cryptopp-git'...
remote: Counting objects: 5006, done.
remote: Total 5006 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 5006
Receiving objects: 100% (5006/5006), 2.19 MiB | 835.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (3745/3745), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
Checking out files: 100% (384/384), done.
$