Re: Trouble with libcurl vs. old/incomplete TFTP servers

From: Michael König <plasm_at_plasm.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 12:21:50 +0200 (CEST)

> Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se> hat am 24. August 2015
> um 06:52 geschrieben:
>

> On 8/21/2015 10:16 AM, Michael König wrote:
> >> Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> hat am 20. August 2015 um 23:20
> >> geschrieben:
> >>

> >> On Wed, 19 Aug 2015, Michael König wrote:
> >>

> "Set \fIonoff\fP to 1L to exclude all TFTP options defined in RFC2347,
> RFC2348 and RFC2349 from read and write requests (RRQs/WRQs)."
>
> Also I removed your assertion that not sending the TFTP options will
> make us conform to RFC1350. I may have overstepped on that, but I don't
> know that it's a correct assertion (didn't read the RFC).
I was in no way invested in that statement. Since RFC2347-49 extended the TFTP
protocol by the new options, removing them should revert the behaviour back to
RFC 1350 only.
Only clients may initiate an option negotiation in TFTP. In theory the code
after my change would go beyond RFC1350, if a server would send an unsolicited
OACK packet confirming options that were never requested. In this case the
current implementation would ACK most of the options, if they are known instead
of rejecting them and closing down the connection, since the server is not
conforming to TFTP.
One could argue, that current behaviour does not break anything, and just
increases the error tolerance of the implementation. If the team sees any value
in that. If adhering to the standard is more important, this is something that
needed to be adressed before claiming RFC1350 conformance.
I got no time to test the above statements right now. My comments are based on
my recollection of the code.

> [1]:
> https://github.com/jay/curl/compare/master...jay:tftp_no_options?expand=1
Thanks for fixing my blunder. Forgot to mention that CURLOPT_TFTP_NO_OPTIONS
will make any value set for CURLOPT_TFTP_BLKSIZE be ignored. They are mutually
exclusive.

Greeting,
  Michael