RE: New push functions

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 11:15:08 +0200

Kamil Dudka wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation! It makes sense to me now. I was not
aware of the VERSIONINFO -> SONAME mapping magic.

You're welcome :-)

>> On each platform, soname is monotonically increasing, but this is
more
>> often on iSeries. As a consequence, a linux soname may skip many
>> numbers when an soname bump is really needed (i.e.: when a symbol is
deleted).
>> If a symbol was deleted just now, VERSIONINFO should be set to 9:0:0
>> (from 8:0:3), so the soname will jump from 4 to 9 on linux and from 8

>> to 9 on iSeries...

> I tried it on Linux. SONAME stayed unchanged (libcurl.so.4). The
actual file name of the library changed from
> libcurl.so.4.3.0 to libcurl.so.4.4.0 but it should not break the
linkage since all packages on the system link
> against the libcurl.so.4 symlink. Is this assumption correct?

Perfectly correct, assuming you have updated VERSIONINFO from 7:0:3 to
8:0:4. The SONAME_BUMP conditional is definitively a useless
complication (should have a reason for it some years ago) that ought to
be removed ASAP. But "ASAP" is when there'll be a real SONAME bump need
for every platform :-(