Re: curl_multi_socket_action and pipelining

From: Cristian Morales Vega <cristian_at_samknows.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 08:47:11 +0100

On 18 June 2015 at 13:07, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
>> When using curl_multi_perform() instead, which I think is what all the
>> curl tests use when testing pipelining, the requests are done correctly, in
>> order.
>

> First, the tests are unreliable if they make such assumptions. Then, I will
> still claim that you get this behavior thanks to some circumstances in the
> code rather than any attempted guarantees in the API.
>
> This said, we don't make it "random" on purpose and I'm not aware of any
> particular functionality what would prevent libcurl from doing them in
> order.

Fair enough.

Would adding the in-order guarantee make sense? I'm not saying just to
modify curl_multi_socket_action(), but to explicitly document the
guarantee. Or do you prefer not limiting yourself in the future by
adding restrictions to the API?
I want the in-order guarantee because I'm downloading chunks of video.

PS: I think test 530 supposes the guarantee, but I'm not sure about
the test data syntax.