Re: A case for a branch and follow-up release?

From: Michael Osipov <1983-01-06_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:04:58 +0200

Am 2015-04-27 um 20:47 schrieb Daniel Stenberg:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2015, Michael Osipov wrote:
>
>> It is common practice for a lot of projects to branch off a bugfix
>> branch by default. I would favor this by default. Given that someone
>> needs to reproduce an issue, he/she can do it off a stable branch
>> rather than a unstable master.
>
> Yeah, this could be the beginning of a new practise... if it turns out
> to work well I might do it again for coming releases.

I welcome it.

>> Though, I do not understand the naming of the branch. Again, it is
>> common practice to name a bugfix branch with 7.42.x. Clear and simple.
>> 7_42 looks like a) anxiety of dots and b) a tag.
>
> 7_42 is for the 7.42 series, starting from 7.42.0. I don't think the
> branch name is terribly important. Is it? How would you like it called ?
> 'branch-7.42.x' ?

Given that it is already a branch, I consider the prefix 'branch-' as
redundant, I would stick to '7.42.x' or 'curl-7.42.x'.

I think a name has to be clear and easy recognizable for everyone
cloning from GitHub.

Consider Isaac Boukris would like to work on GH-232 from a stable branch
without hindering anyone else. He would simply branch off 7.42.x
(stable), call the new brach GH-232 which is a feature branch. This
naming pattern would be directly visible for everyone fetching from
bagder/curl and especially when he is ready to merge his changes back to
master. We have a selfexplanatory Git log.

This is at least how we do it at Apache Software Foundation with many
projects and I am used from many other Git/Subversion projects hosted or
mirrored on GitHub.

Michael