Re: Re: A case for a branch and follow-up release?

From: Michael Osipov <1983-01-06_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 20:36:55 +0200

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
>> I'm leaning towards the first ever branched release of curl/libcurl: to
>> branch off from the 7.42.0 point and only cherry-pick the fixes for the two
>> build problems and this pending security fix, and then do a 7.42.1 release.
>> Like in a week or so.
>
> I'm not at all a master of remote git branches, but I made a 7_42 branch now
> that can be used for a potential follow-up release.

It is common practice for a lot of projects to branch off a bugfix
branch by default. I would favor this by default. Given that someone
needs to reproduce an issue, he/she can do it off a stable branch rather
than a unstable master.

Though, I do not understand the naming of the branch. Again, it is
common practice to name a bugfix branch with 7.42.x. Clear and simple.
7_42 looks like a) anxiety of dots and b) a tag.

Michael

PS: master is just a remote git branch. No special treatment and you are
already familiar with ;-)