RE: CURL_EXTERN also used by VMS.

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 12:15:03 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> 2. The requirement to always add new ones last in this generated list
will be seriously awkward: right now multi.h is scanned last in the test
(and I believe the OS/400 script) so for example new easy functions
couldn't be added in easy.h where they all are now!

> I don't have any immediate solution to this which is why I proceeded
and pushed the test anyway, as it will at least properly make us aware
if or when we break the order.

Happily, added or removed externals are not frequent in libcurl. If this
occurs, it implies an SONAME change.

As an alternate solution example, see libxml2: there is an xml file
defining all externals by version. See
https://git.gnome.org/browse/libxml2/tree/doc/symbols.xml.
This does neither allow deleting externals, nor conditional externals
(i.e.: platform-dependent). This file is maintained manually. I
(indirectly) use it for the OS400 implementation.

Patrick